Monday, September 2, 2013

DAY 1 OF BUILD!!!

So we finally started working on the chassis. We had intended to complete the front suspension but hit a snag when we realized that there were no snap rings for the coil overs. It was labor day weekend so I'll have to call FFR on Tuesday to have them sent out. I discovered later, through the forum at FFCARS.com that I could have assembled the shocks without the snap rings and just put them on later when the coil overs were installed on the car. Oh well, it's all part of the process. We did manage to install the front upper and lower control arms without any problems.



It felt great to work on the car even though it was over pretty quick. Since we finished up so fast we had some time to do some stuff around the garage and get things ready for our next build day. Most notably finishing some restoration work on a vintage tanker desk that I picked up off of Craigslist. This desk is probably from the 50's ad was used in the office of a local grocery store. It is in pretty good condition except for some surface rust and the top was completely ruined. We cleaned it up, scraped off the material on top and sanded all of the adhesive and rust down to the bare metal. We then applied several coats of clear coat to protect it. The result is a beautiful finish that looks like something you might find at restoration hardware. These desks are really cool and can go for up to one thousand dollars in the right condition. I picked this baby up for $40 and some elbow grease! I think it looks amazing and will be a great place for me to do my research for the build and organize my paperwork.




Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment